I provide manuscript evaluation, developmental editing, line editing, proofreading, indexing, content creation, and other services to clients on demand. I am a current member of the American Copy Editors Society and an Active member of SFWA (Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America), based on my professional fiction sales.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Capable and confident performance of all necessary tasks at every step of content creation, from conceptualization through market research, acquisitions, writing, editing, art and photography, contracts, print layout and ebook design. Broad spectrum of small press management skills includes information analysis, accounting, scheduling, website creation, pricing, logistics, marketing, publicity, and grant writing. Proven ability to work independently, meet deadlines, network, teach workshops, as well as train and supervise others.
Writer, Freelance (June 2000 to present)
- Publications on a range of academic and technical subjects: how-to articles; computer advice for new users; critical essays on art history, film, pop culture, and fiction.
- Wrote press releases, web and print content for clients, including ghostwriting and collaboration on both fiction and non-fiction projects.
- Samples available upon request.
Freelance Editor (June 2008 to present)
- Substantive editing, line editing, copyediting, proofreading, page layout, typesetting, and critiquing manuscripts on a freelance basis.
- Experience includes both nonfiction and fiction work, ranging from newspaper and magazine, academic journal, dissertations, literary fiction, poetry, genre fiction, anthologies, and novels.
- Worked with medical professionals editing papers and PowerPoint presentations using the American Medical Association (AMA) style guide.
- Assisted with reorganization of the SFWA trade journal, the Bulletin, 2013-2014.
Workshop Teacher (March 2013 to present)
- Taught a variety of online workshops to students all over the world, via my private forum space. Responsible for designing, advertising, booking, and teaching multi-session classes to students of different skill and experience levels, while tailoring one-on-one guidance to each person. Courses include:
- “Better Writing Through Brevity: Writing/Editing Microfiction and Flash”
- “Nuts and Bolts of Submitting”
- “Plotting the Short Story”
- “Editing 101” – AKA “Editing for Writers”
Managing Editor, Dagan Books, Ltd. (2010 through 2016):
- Responsible for acquisitions, publication layout and design, ebook creation, contracts, marketing, social media management, grant writing, educational outreach, and staff/project supervision.
- Oversaw conversion to federally-recognized literary not-for-profit corporation. Currently serving on the board of directors.
- Editor-in-Chief of Lakeside Circus (2013 to 2016), a magazine of short speculative fiction, including poetry, available in text or audio formats; currently on hiatus.
Approved Freelance Editor, St. Martin’s Press (August 2014 to 2015)
- Copy editing and proofreading, assigned per project.
First Reader, Crossed Genres Magazine, Science in My Fiction (August 2010 through June 2011)
First Reader, Dark Quest Books, LLC. (June 2010 through January 2011)
Academic Editor, Sacramento City College (June 2005 to July 2008)
- Provided technical and substantive editing for college students, including editing for style where necessary. This position included tutoring students on manuscript format using Chicago Manual of Style (CMoS) and Modern Language Association (MLA).
Copy Editor/Proofreader, Newspaper and Magazine (1992 to 2001)
- Provided copy editing using the Associated Press Stylebook. Edited for content, clarity, and length; provided fact-checking (specifically for potential libel issues and opinion misstated as fact) when needed.
- Wrote display copy (headlines, captions, etc); did proofreading, typesetting and page layout as required. Am familiar with both paper and digital layout techniques.
- Employers included Ceres Courier, Modesto Bee, Fishwrap Magazine, Union Democrat.
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.
Candidate for B.A. in History of Art. Focus: Early American Books and Prints.
Sacramento City College, Sacramento, CA.
A.A. in Fine Arts, awarded 2008. Focus: Printmaking
A.A. in History of Art, awarded 2008. Focus: Museum Studies (conservation, arts management, and curatorial practice)
Academy of Art University, San Francisco, CA
Focus: Screenwriting / Cinematography
Additional classes in business law, accounting, photography, graphic design, and literature.
Please contact me to discuss your next project.