A Note about 1099s


Per the IRS, payments to independent contractors (such as freelancers) made via third party systems, such as PayPal, credit card, debit card, or gift card, are not subject to the 1099-MISC rules. Because I use PayPal to process payments, our transactions do not require you to submit a 1099-MISC to me for tax purposes, even if you pay me more than $600 in the course of a calendar year. PayPal will send me a Form 1099-K for all payments received through them in that year, if I exceed the transaction threshold for them to do so.

More instructions for using the IRS 1099-MISC form can be found here (PDF).

Please contact me if you have any questions about our transactions. I am happy to provide a W9 to any client who requires one.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: